Sky Blues defeat Glenavon at Mourneview Park

Glenavon 0-2 Ballymena United

David Jeffrey oversaw his first away win against Glenavon as Ballymena United manager on Saturday afternoon at Mourneview Park with the Sky Blues recording a 2-0 victory in the Danske Bank Premiership.

The Braidmen almost took the advantage in just the sixth minute with a promising chance. Cathair Friel got to the ball before Glenavon goalkeeper Jonathan Tuffey, however it was headed clear by Caolan Marron on the goal-line.

It was Friel’s strike partner, Adam Lecky, who opened the scoring six minutes later with his fifth league goal of the current season. An initial shot from Friel proved tricky for Tuffey, before Lecky eventually netted at his second attempt. Nial Grace then looked to fire the hosts level but he was prevented from doing so by Leroy Millar who slid in.

Glenavon called for a penalty on 29 minutes when Stephen Murray was closed down by Ballymena’s Jonny Addis. Addis had moved towards Murray when Conor McCloskey crossed from the left but the striker’s appeal was rejected by referee Arnold Hunter.

The Lurgan Blues lowest moment of the afternoon came in the 32nd minute when assistant manager Paul Millar was dismissed from the dugout protesting to the referee’s assistant.

Jude Winchester scored the away side’s second goal two minutes after. The midfielder received the ball from Lecky and produced a low finish past Tuffey from inside the ‘D’. Josh Daniels reduced the deficit for the home side but the left-winger’s shot flew over.

Left-back Rhys Marshall headed well wide from an Andy Hall corner-kick, before a second corner by Hall was nodded onto the right post by Daniels towards the end of the half.

In the second period Glenavon lacked significant openings although their opponents did have a few opportunities. One of which was a free-kick from the right wing by Stephen McCullough which was gathered by Tuffey.

Centre-back Kofi Balmer could have put United further in front on 74 minutes but his header hit the post after McCullough’s corner had been flicked on. James Knowles then tried a finesses shot which Tuffey was able to collect with a quarter of an hour remaining.

Glenavon: Tuffey, Marshall, Marron, King, Hall (Jenkins, 72), Norton (Donnelly, 58), Garrett, Grace (Harmon, 67), Daniels, Murray, McCloskey

Subs not used: Larmour, O’Mahony, Muir, Hamilton

Ballymena United: Glendinning, McCullough, Addis, Ervin, Balmer, McGrory, Winchester (Harpur, 49), Millar, Knowles, Friel (McMurray, 82), Lecky

Subs not used: Williamson, Kane, Whiteside, Faulkner, Shevlin

Referee: Arnold Hunter (Maguiresbridge)

In-Touch Man of the Match: Adam Lecky (Ballymena)

  • Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *


You May Also Like

Match Report: Ballymena One Point Away From Premiership Summit

Ballymena United 2-1 Glentoran By Paul Alexander Ballymena United defeated Glentoran in the Danske ...

Crues to face United in Cup Quarter-Final  

  Ballymena United 4-1 Portadown By Paul Alexander Ballymena United beat Portadown in one ...

Sofa to Saddle Success

This programme was coordinated by Mid and East Antrim Borough Council through their PEACE ...